Paonia Soil Co. has been perfecting their soil recipes since 1990. They learned first hand that the best technologies don’t work against nature, they work with it. When they brought our mixes to market in 2012, their family-owned business changed the way Colorado grows.
Soilless coco and perlite base mix with organic yucca wetting agent and myccorrhiza
- No Macro Nutrients
- Use your own nutrients
- Low E.C. – Max .3, typically under .2 (most other brands are .5+)
- Super light, fluffy, consistent blend
(Click to expand)
Coconut Husk Peat
Coco peat is a proven natural alternative to mined peat moss. Using it helps slow down peat extraction from environmentally sensitive swamps worldwide. Coco coir peat will last three times as long as peat moss and sphagnum peat moss. Unlike peat moss, coco coir is hydrophilic and will re-wet easily without using wetting agents. It can hold up to 8 times its own weight in water. Used as a growing medium/potting medium, coco coir outperforms most of the popular brands of peat and sphagnum peat.
Coco coir peat promotes healthy root growth in plants. This eco-friendly alternative to peat moss is derived from the husk of the coconut. Coco coir is an excellent growing medium for both commercial and home gardening applications. The hydroponics and horticulture industries have observed that plants grown with the aid of coir develop larger roots, stems and blooms. This is because unlike ordinary soil, which is usually compacted, coco peat provides more breathing space and aeration for plant roots, resulting in better growth.
Coco peat is included in Original Bomb™, 50/50 and Raised Bed Mix, and is not included in Sphagnum Bomb™.
Beneficial Bacteria Inoculant
13 strains of beneficial bacteria break down nutrients and crowd out pathogens.
12 strains of symbiotic root organisms that increase uptake of nutrients and water.
Heat expanded volcanic rock is the world’s premier organic aeration and drainage agent. This means that it lets water drain into the mix more quickly and then pulls air in as it drains out. See more about the advantages of perlite here. It is not Styrofoam as some people assume. It is rock.
Organic Wetting Agent
An organic, yucca-based wetting agent with saponins that increases your crop’s water and nurtrient uptake and gets water into our mix even faster.
- Saponins improve the soil’s absorption and dispersal of both nutrients and water by reducing surface tension. This allows plant roots to absorb more of what is available to them as the water and nutrients are distributed more evenly.
- Yucca extracts reduce salt buildup by reducing dry pocket formation within the soil and increasing permeability in clay soils. In the case of excessive mineral buildup, yucca extracts will reduce the amount of water necessary to flush the soil.
- Saponins and complex carbohydrates in yucca extracts provide slow-release food sources for many soil-dwelling microorganisms. As a result, many compost tea recipes use yucca extracts. Yucca extracts commonly contain micronutrients such as iron, zinc, manganese and copper as well.
- Yucca contains antioxidants (i.e. salicylic acid, vitamin C) that protect cells from free radical damage. Yucca extracts also stimulate plants’ immune systems to produce their own protective hormones boosting insect and disease resistance.